Written by KidApprovedBC 13/07/18
We all know the summer struggle… keeping the kids busy without screens or breaking the bank. Those super fun activities and attractions can really start to add up. Many families also need to budget for additional childcare over the summer months. That classic refrain of “I’m bored!” can start by 9am some mornings, and although we’re all down for a bit of TV, they can’t spend the summer glued to a screen. So what to do? Luckily there are a ton of free summer activities and destinations in Surrey. Here’s a “Top Ten” of things to do that are both fun and FREE!
Free Summer Activities in Surrey
- Park Play – This community recreation program is hosted at parks throughout the City of Surrey and provides facilitated sports, games and other actives. Find out when it will be in your neighbourhood!
- Biking – There are so many options for biking around Surrey, from the flat, wide gravel paths of Blackie Spit to the meandering trails through Tynehead Regional Park. We absolutely love the very family friendly maps and route recommendations from Let’s Go Biking.
- Newton Days – This lovely community event is hosted every Saturday through July, with food trucks, face painting, a Kids’ Fun Zone and so much more.
- Parks – Surrey has over 200 parks! There are some amazing playgrounds and beautiful nature trails. And fishing opportunities in some of the lakes, bike parks for the daredevil and spray parks for the hot days. Check out some of these Kid Approved favs: Bear Creek Park for a full day of fun on the playground, at the spray park walking the trails and don’t miss the train or outdoor pool. Green Timbers Urban Forest offers an immersive nature experience – borrow a rod and wander down to the lake. Or explore the stunning arboretum and charming fairy forest in Redwood Park.
- Fusion Fest – This totally free festival rocks Holland Park on July 21 + 22. It is a celebration of culture, music and food, and is a great experience for kids and grown up alike. Expect lots of free parking, convenient access to transit, and multiple kids’ zones – a fantastic option for a family weekend.
- Crescent Beach – Synonymous with summer, everyone loves a beach day. And Crescent Beach is very kid friendly with lots of crab hunting opportunities and sandy flats at low tide. It is close to ice cream shops and restaurants if packing up one more picnic feels like too much work!
- Surrey Rides – This summer long series of events is hosted in different locations around Surrey. If you have an aspiring stunt kid in your family, be sure check it out. Don’t forget to bring the scooter, bike or skateboard.
- Surrey Nature Centre – Located in Green Timbers Urban Forest, this lovely space offers activity backpacks and fishing rods to explore the park, or craft and exploration activities inside the centre. They also host a ton of events that teach kids about nature in an engaging and interactive way, like Discovery Days (July 6 + 20, August 3 + 17) and Wild Wednesdays (every Wednesday in July and August).
- Historic Stewart Farm – Learn about early pioneer life with costumed staff and interactive exhibits. Bring a picnic to relax on the lovely grounds. And check out the many free events like the Amazing Farm Scavenger Hunt, happening August 11.
- Sounds of Summer Music Series – With both afternoon and evening performances at parks around Surrey, this free outdoor music series is a great way to chill out as a family after a busy day. Pack a picnic and chairs for a family evening of music.