Written by KidApprovedBC 21/06/18
It starts with strawberries and ends with pumpkins! Delta farm season spans much of the calendar year and provides a glorious array of fresh produce, eggs, honey and more. There are many interactive farm experiences for families. Visit a working farm, stop by a local farmers market or buy a CSA.
Westham Island is “the” farm destination in Delta. This pastoral island is tucked away across a single lane, wooden bridge. Crossing the bridge transports you to a world that feels miles away from the urban bustle, yet it is only about 15 minutes off of Hwy 99.
- Emma Lea Farms – Come for the strawberries and stay for the playground and ice cream stand. Kids will love to clamber up the tractors and visit the donkeys.
- Westham Island Herb Farm – Very Instagram-able and known for its Fall pumpkin patch, this lovely farm sells seasonal produce, homemade jellies, hone, and other local goodness. Don’t forget to say hi to the shaggy cows and friendly goats.
- Cropthorne Farm – This certified organic, family run farm is a perfect place to stock up on beautiful produce, flowers and free range eggs. Check their website for farm stand hours, or sign up for one of their CSA boxes.
Photo cred @macnairphotos
Sunny Tsawwassen is well-known for its beautiful beaches and trails, but there is also a strong local faming culture. Spend a leisurely Saturday discovering this oceanside community.
- Tsawwassen Farmers Market – A hyperlocal market with carefully curated vendors who represent the best of Tsawwassen. Baked goodness, seasonal produce and local artisans sell their wares every Saturday through the summer.
- Earthwise Gardens – Located in Boundary Bay, the Earthwise Demonstration Garden + Farm is a great place to learn about sustainable farming techniques. Talk to their knowledgable staff, explore the garden and buy their organic produce at the stand. Don’t miss the barn owls and Mason bee hotel.
Photo cred @earthwisegardens
- Bancy Farms – This third generation family farm specializes in blueberries, selling them fresh throughout blueberry season, and flash frozen for the rest of the year. Get your fix for Okanagan peaches and more as they bring in all the good things from the interior.
- Ladner Village Market – “Make it, Bake it, Grow it” is the motto of the market, and it definitely delivers. Nestled in the heart of Ladner Village, it is popular with both locals and visitors. It is a must-do summer experience!
- Vandula Farms – The recently renovated farm store is well stocked with seasonal produce, gourmet grocery items and giftware. And green thumbs will love their excellent garden centre.
- Backroads Family Farm Market – Family run by the Guichon sisters, this multigenerational farm sells a wide array of local produce and more. Stop by their farm stand or find them at the Ladner Village Market.
Discover one of our favourite farmers’ markets!
- North Delta Farmers Market – Every Sunday from May to October, this market hosts local businesses, food trucks, entertainment, kid activities and more. Conveniently located at the North Delta Recreation Centre, there is a beautiful park for picnicking, an outdoor swimming pool and lots of green space for a Sunday-Funday full of lounging around.
What is a CSA? CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It is an opportunity for locals to support their farms by purchasing a share of the upcoming harvest. It provides famers with much needed cashflow to start planting, and participants enjoy fresh produce throughout the growing season. Many of the farms included in this post offer CSAs. It is a great way to participate in your farming community!